Midstate Chamber of Commerce logo


Meriden Health & Human Services Department News

Web Site: http://www.meridenhealth.com
165 Miller St., Meriden, CT 06450
Tel: (203) 630-4226 Fax: (203) 639-0039

MDHHS is committed to improving the quality of life for all it serves through the promotion of health, prevention of disease, and by assuring a safe and clean environment.

 View all News Articles for Meriden Health & Human Services Department

Carbon Monoxide - The Quiet Killer

January 9, 2011

Carbon monoxide - an invisible gas that we cant see, smell, or taste - comes from any source that burns fuel such as cars, fireplaces, woodstoves, kerosene space heaters, and gas appliances such as water heaters, ovens, and dryers. When we breathe in carbon monoxide it replaces the oxygen in our blood, and without oxygen, cells throughout the body die and the organs stop working.

To reduce the risk of getting sick, install a carbon monoxide detector on every floor or leave of your home. Check the batteries every time you check your smoke detector batteries - at least twice a year. If the alarm on the detector goes off, leave the house immediately and call 9-1-1 from a cell phone or neighbor's house. For more information on carbon monoxide, including symptoms of poisoning, please visit our website www.meridenhealth.com


Member News is provided as a service of the Midstate Chamber of Commerce and is also featured in the monthly "Chamber News" newsletter mailed to members.

The “original publication date” of Member News articles posted on this web site reflects the date this article was added to the Chamber database and may not necessarily reflect the date such news events occurred.